Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Flora and Fauna faux pas

I forgot about all the deadly things they have in Australia.The last time I was here I encountered many.There was the Tiger Snake (2nd most deadly in the world),the redback(highly poisonous and deadly to the weak and young),the funnel-web (extremely deadly-15 minutes to death has been recorded),the white tail spider (supposedly very toxic with some reporting gangrene and ulcers in the area bitten. The Taipan (the most deadliest in Australia).
This time I am a city dweller so I was imagining that it would be a little more relaxed in terms of fearing for my welfare but I was wrong.Here in Melbourne we have the Redback and the white tail,and in the countryside we do have snakes.I hasten to add that we also have a new species which I discovered all by myself on a sunny day in the garden.
It was late afternoon and I was picking up a towel which was sprawled on the lawn and to my horror something grabbed my finger and didnt let go.This resulted in several frenzied leaps around the garden.The symptoms of at this point unidentified deadly 'thing' were raised heart beat,approximately 140 per minute, wild and loud squeals involuntarily escaping from the vocal areas,need to urinate,and wild imaginings of lost limbs.I think perhaps it had a slight hallucinagenic venom.
Suggestions to all who come into contact with afore mentioned 'thing' sit down and relax with our head between your legs.Recovery time-10 minutes.Shame factor 10/10.
This new Australian species is now known in our house as the Lesser known Grape stalk and is to be avoided with great care.Please advise if any one else has any stories to share of above .I think I am on to something.

1 comment:

MissSin said...

oh dear...are there really all those scary things in town too?

i'm scared now...might have to stay inside with a can of pesticide for 2 weeks....

nah - too much to be had!