Wednesday, January 11, 2006

The limit of my patience..........

I have to admit that I have discovered the hardest job in the world.It pushes your limits ,it has the longest hours going,its full of stress and terrible smells,it has laughter,tears and an emotionsl rollercoaster that would put Disney out of business.Its noisier than standing next to a thumping speaker at any concert.
Anyone guess what it might be yet???
Well its motherhood..........
I thought teaching children for 4 years was the greatest insight into having kids but I was wrong.You can give them back at the end of an hour.You are in a contained area,there is only so much damage that can be done.
Here, right now living with my Aunt and Uncle(god bless thier souls) and the twins has been an eye opener.It stats from the moment they wake until they drop off to sleep.Its filled with noise,discipline(which inevitably goes unheard ,or should I say ignored)constant dilligence and enough energy to run a fucking marathon.
There is a constant battle to set limits and teach them right from wrong(ha! Thought I would be really good at this one!)But yesterday saw me reacht he limit of my patience.Its a collective experience when you lose it.Its not the actual event itself that causes you to pop your cork,more the build up of constant wearing down of your tolerance!
Yesterday I resorted to a 5 minute tantrum that was apparently funny to watch .
We are teaching the boys not to pull tails ....cat tails to be more precise.Its not going well.We often find them squealing with delight at dragging the cat half way round the house by his tail.Yesterday it was a little more of an onslaught with the puss being ambushed by corn on the cob being hurled at high speed through the air in his general direction.Poor Benji.......this came after a full on day of "no" , "dont do that" , and shouting to be heard. The cob was the the cork. I take the cob which is lying onthe floor next to the abused puss and hit the boys on the head with it,smack the cat and chase him half way round the house because he wont quit trying to scratch down the fly screen and scream like a frenzied dervish,then sit quietly back to dinner slug half my bucket of wine down and watch my aunt crying with laughter.
You know what though? As much as it is challenging it is also so rewarding and the laughter was fabulous!
I am taking the day off today.Lucky me.But I have to pay special homage to the Mother in this post.WELL FUCKING DONE! You are all angels and saints of the highest order.I aspire to be at some point of my life a Brilliant Mum.I just will need to curb the cob throwing discipinarian tendencies though.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

ha ha ha ha ha bwa ha ha ha I laughed out loud at this post honey.

frangipani

MissSin said...

oh...this is what i've got to look forward to next week?

erm...how's sydney this time of year?

just joking - as long as you PROMISE to have another cob-tantrum while i'm with you...

(hee hee hee)

dipchick said...

hahahahahahahah

I lived through that, and am now in some scary next phase... as you know...

I've always said that children are the best form of birth control.

Anonymous said...

Very funny laughed my socks of the trials and tribulations of sharing Motherhood. Maxx