Monday, August 22, 2005

Back in Town.........

Phew......Im back. I jumped on a plane and then a bus and then a taxi and found myself back at home.Its that easy!
I knew this time though that it would be the last time to do that trip,at least for the next 4 or 5 years!
I have been so caught up in plans of leaving and other rollercoaster events that I didnt realise how much I have become attatched to the bright lights and the hum of the ever churning Tokyo engine. Theres no doubt that its going to be a great move and a wonderful opportunity but there will be a sadness in leaving the throb of a city like Tokyo.
It has been the first place I have settled in since leaving the U.K 6 years ago and is the nearest I have had to home in longer.
Someone asked me on sunday "what will you miss most about Tokyo?" at first I said the trains and then with a little more thought i realised that being a foreigner in Tokyo despite many pitfalls is tremendous. I love existing in a world with a suprise around every corner.I love living in a culture I dont understand. I love that Japanese wont talk about emotion but they will get crazy in a karaoke room and beat you vocal chords down with a belting song. I love the diversity and the colour.I love that I can be in nature and 2 days seems like a week. I will also miss Hanami........the most beautiful of natures gifts to Japan.ahhhhh..........the memories wont leave ..I am rich to have been experienced so many beautiful people places and events in Tokyo........Tokyo has taught me that even though I live in a city where the Yen rules I dont have to run with that. I can have simplicity and happiness without all that ponce!
I will leave Tokyo a stonger ,wiser independant woman. Tokyo and its lessons has given me much,but then again I guess I must remind myself that i have been the master of my ship and will continue to be so.

1 comment:

MissSin said...

yeah - tokyo is a weird place like that.
you get to point where you think 'that's it!!!'
and you leave.

and when you're away, you can't wait to get back.

myself - i can't seem to escape tokyo's clutches.
then again, i feel quite happy in her sticky warm embrace.