Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Booting the habit....Day 5



Okay! I major shift in my world! I have not had a smoke for 5 days.
This is a pretty amazing thing for me as I havent gone a day without a ciggie in 17 years.
This is a decision that I am completely in control of.I decided the time was right to give it a go and here I am 5 days down the track! It feels like a lifetime and in the same instance alot easier than I anticipated.
Day one and two have been the easiest so far.Day 3 was a nightmare!I managed to have a fight with the lady in the local shop over the price of a Peppermint Freddo Frog and felt like a deep dark hole would gobble me up if I didnt smoke a ciggie.Of course it didnt but in the mean time I stole one of my bosses smokes just in case it did ! The cigarette is still sitting in my work apron 2 days later!Day 4 and 5 are better but I have spent much time negotiating with myself,planning when and where I might have a ciggie if I was to,telling myself that once in a while one smoke would be okay!I could be a social smoker surely?? or if not even that a smoke once or twice a week would be okay.......Its such a powerful drug!!!
Fortunately I have a few really supportive friends who have called me quite a few times to talk with me through the tough times ........one who has never smoked and one who gave up a few months ago but has the occasional.Its those calls that mean a heap to me.This is a strange new territory for me and I feel strangely disconnected from myself! I am so used to having a ciggie in my hand that I am not entirely sure who ths girl is that has not had a puff for 5 days........there are limitless possibilitie that open up in my head when I think about being a non-smoker and they are all so positive.
I have been really careful to not replace the cigs with any food! I think it would be easy to stuff in chocolate and all sorts of crap in an attempt to fill the hole ,but I really dont want to gain any weight and this is the time to forge new routines not just replace the old ways with another unhealthy addiction.Anyways I cant go into my local shop to buy Freddo Frogs anymore so I guess that I must have subconciously sabotaged that one!
So my way of thinking at the moment is TODAY I AM NOT SMOKING ..........
lets just see how it goes

6 comments:

MissSin said...

good on you!
5 days is A LONG time! 5 big gold stars to you.
haven't had the nerve to completely give up - but during the week will only have one or 2 smokes a day...

am sending you cyber support...

Indigorayz said...

Thanks chickadee! Gawd there are moments I just wanna grab a cigarete from someone and inhale it in one puff,but for some reason it dont happen! I am just taking it a day at a time! Good on you for the one to two a day! I think thats a great start!

arumanda said...

good on you. ganbatte ganbatte!!!

Anonymous said...

Keep it up girlie! Its sooo much nicer not to be constantly worried in life about where/when/how to have a smoke - i stopped June last year and despite the odd craving i KNOW it would taste like shit and worse still make me, my hair, face, skin, breath and all the rest of my belongings and surroundings smell. And boy does stale smoke smell. Not to mention the cat-bums mouth. Take it one day at a time, don't expect it to be a complete walk in the park but don't despair if you feel like you WANT a cig - its not a really need, just a momentary craving that passes in 120 seconds. Count them! SOO pleased for you - your halo is truly shining!

Anonymous said...

Keep it up girlie! Its sooo much nicer not to be constantly worried in life about where/when/how to have a smoke - i stopped June last year and despite the odd craving i KNOW it would taste like shit and worse still make me, my hair, face, skin, breath and all the rest of my belongings and surroundings smell. And boy does stale smoke smell. Not to mention the cat-bums mouth. Take it one day at a time, don't expect it to be a complete walk in the park but don't despair if you feel like you WANT a cig - its not a really need, just a momentary craving that passes in 120 seconds. Count them! SOO pleased for you - your halo is truly shining!

Anonymous said...

oops so excited i sent it twice... sorry