Thursday, December 02, 2004

Forgiveness

My thoughts today have been on forgiveness.There have been times in my life that I have wanted forgiveness and times when I have needed to give forgiveness. I was pondering on this a little today and came up against a strange feeling.
What is forgiveness? How do we forgive?
I know what the text books say and yes there is a definition in the dictionary.But my question is, when do you know that you have truly forgiven someone or something?
Is forgiveness moving forward without looking at the past at the supposed wrong doing and allowing yourself to "just forget about it?"
If so then I am not the forgiving individual I believed myself to be.
Is forgiveness accepting that you feel wronged ,processing that feeling,communicating that feeling with the supposed "wrong doer" and together building trust again ,hoping that in communicating that you felt a certain wrong doing that you can move forward and trust that they will not hurt you again.
Hmmmmmm.this sounds a little nearer..but not quite there.I found some quotes on it today while pondering the situation and came to this conclusion.
Forgiveness is a state where we allow ourselves and someone else freedom to be exactly who they are at any given moment.To allow any individual freedom to act in any way they choose and not hold any grudge or hold anything over them.Forgiveness in my reality is learning from each other and taking risks.Its a huge leap for some.
For me I have decided to take that leap......watch out world here I go!!!!!!! Slaaaaaaaaassssshhh!!!!


Israel Zangwill
The Past: Our cradle, not our prison; there is danger as well as appeal in its glamour. The past is for inspiration, not imitation, for continuation, not repetition


Doc Childre and Howard Martin, The HeartMath Solution
The incoherence that results from holding on to resentments and unforgiving attitudes keeps you from being aligned with your true self. It can block you from your next level of quality life experience. Metaphorically, it's the curtain standing between the room you're living in now and a new room, much larger and full of beautiful objects. The act of forgiveness removes the curtain. Clearing up your old accounts can free up so much energy that you jump right into a whole new house. Forgiving releases you from the punishment of a self-made prison where you are both the inmate and the jailer.


David McArthur & Bruce McArthur, The Intelligent Heart
Many people are afraid to forgive because they feel they must remember the wrong or they will not learn from it. The opposite is true. Through forgiveness, the wrong is released from its emotional stranglehold on us so that we can learn from it. Through the power and intelligence of the heart, the release of forgiveness brings expanded intelligence to work with the situation more effectively.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You might want to go back and revisit the alanis song, you owe me nothing in return. How dies it sound now?

j-ster