Monday, February 14, 2005

Do not pass Go,Do not collect 200

Yes, Yes Life is a monopoly,Love is a monopoly,Making snap decisions and going with them is a monopoly.........there are so many monopolies that we run in our lives that it sometimes gets overwhelming.
For Christmas I asked for Monopoly.Its the Lord of the Rings version and so has no real geographic relevance. On playing it for the first time with Jonathan he proudly said "This was invented in the U.S" to which I replied .........."Get outta here ,this is a british game,move over american and let me breathe" That was that .I felt sure that it was a british game.
Yesterday I invited friends over to play monopoly and one of my friends said"This is a french game" again the voice of knowledge boomed from my corner..........."I dont think so,its british" Again that was that.
On having a little peruse on the cyber highway this morning I found out that in fact Monopoly is an American game invented in Pennsiylvania or was it Virginia.
Even here there are some grey areas where apparently The parker brothers may or may not have stolen the idea from a woman in the late 1920's.Its original name possibly being "The landlord game"
Anyways history aside I now know that Jonathan was right ,although I am certain he didnt know for sure ,I just think its one of those things where everyone claims it as thier own, as its something that we hold so dearly to our upbringing and therefore must be from our home.
Anyways I won. It didnt feel as good to win as it did 20 years ago mind you. But a heap of fun to see the ways in which we tacticly play!!!
I am a "mine its all mine kinda girl" who realises after she has it all that its not so fun to have everyone around the board shooting very sharp daggers at you! Hmmmmm.I guess its just a game!

No comments: