Thursday, October 12, 2006

The big heat.........the no rain

well this is all a little new to me.I am surrounded by talk of what we will do this summer in terms of water.........I say .......drink it,swim in it,take long long cold showers in it,wash my clothes with it,clean with it,make soup with it,water my plants with it,but it seems I may be limited as to my options and it not something I have really given alot of thought to.Water shortage talk is rife,Melbourne has had half the amount of water it needs to fully support its population.Farmers are selling land,crops are going to pot,people are looking a little worried........I feel a little ambivalent about it,its not that I dont care it just is so foreign to me.Sure I have camped for 10 days in a row and have had to take water from rivers and only wash where water was considered crock free......but that was different that was a controlled shortage,a fun adventure.
Talking to my uncle today he is considering getting a hose pipe from the bath in the kids bathroom out to the lawn to water the garden........and by that I mean the dirty bath water ,my question when asking how long the hose pipe was, which incidently was about 50 meters was also who was in charge of sucking at the other end? Will it come to family showers,or showers lasting no more than 2 minutes?? Will we have to buy bottled water to drink ? will we have a limit on our meter??
These are all things I am investigating .......while doing so someone at work was telling me that at some point some time ago there was a gas shortage and people were not allowed to cook with it or use it for heating water,and anyone found using too much had thier metres taken away...........My My........
So I will just have to see how this pans out.Its spring here right now and we had the hottest day in october for 99 years.A whopping 34 degrees.I love it ,I love the feel of the sun and the warmth and the freedom but when faced witht he very real threat of drought......I kid you not! Fromnt page news today......I dont feel so warm and fuzzy about these lovely hot days.

3 comments:

arumanda said...

there's been a drought for years now. longer than i remember. it just keeps getting worse is all. i remember my school days - each year there was some kind of compulsory 'environment watch' subject and a great deal of it consisted on how to save water.
i remember being positively horrified at my first trip to japan, the land floating on an endless bed of water, at how my host sister left the tap running as she brushed her teeth, and mum as she washed the dishes, and the endless baths and water water water. and as the years passed each time the plane would come down to tullamarine airport, the soil just seemed that much more browner, drier, blander. makes life hard for everyone hey? my dad - he's a professional gardener. he's been trying to retire for the past few years, but nobody even wants to buy his business. i guess it's really a way of life for the aussies now. i hope we all fix up our planet quick smart so y'all don't have to suffer too much more down there.

Anonymous said...

It seems to be a worldwide thing - we had official drought status in place by march this year - and this is the UK! Hosepipe ban swiftly followed, with the threat of standpipes and water rations hanging over us (still? even tho its rained all month so far?) But the weird thing here is - if you own your own private swimming pool/golf course which must be 2 of the biggest water users around, you're not covered by the ban. Oh and also the fact that the water system is so archaic Southern Water leaks more than something like 2million swimming pools A DAY. And then claims bonuses of billions because it doesn't spend it on repairs. The mind boggles...

Anonymous said...

I remember being horrified at the water wastage in japan too, really shocked! Water rationing for gardens starts after this weekend. I believe even numbered houses can use sprinklers to water the garden between 8pm to 8am (and thats not a mistake, night time only) on tues, thurs and sat, while odd numbered houses can water on wed, fri and sun. Monday is for the Murray (River).

I remember the old "shower with a friend" campaign from years ago, and also Helen Razor on JJJ telling everyone "if its yellow let it mellow, if its brown, flush it down", much to Mikey's amusement. Water rationing is a very familiar thing. Which is not to say that this current drought is business as usual...