Saturday, October 29, 2005

Za Spoons




I love rhythm........It sits in your stomach and rises up .Closing my eyes it takes me to a place in my centre and grows like a beautiful flower,finally blossoming into an expression of dance or movement or pure being. Its an expression and a communication.
I have played the Djembe for years. I was trained in Western Africa,I travelled through lesser known states and challenged the Masters to show me what they knew.It was never easy.
"Woman dance, dont drum".........so I danced.......a little.......eventually I pushed myself onto them ,challenged them to change thier tradition.Perhaps I shouldnt have done that but I was there to learn the rhythms of Africa.I wanted to learn Liberty,a rhythm that signified the independance from France. It was hard.It didnt flow in 4/4 it was off beat,it was complicated and beautiful. I observed thier reluctance and then thier wonder and pride that I could do it- a woman.
Yesterday we played to the beat of a great little accoustic band ,not with drums -with spoons! For such a simple little tool it has many uses.........Yai spoons....I think I may take a pair with me now as the norm.More than that and the same with the drum.It brings people together.Like I said its a communication and a bonding force.A smile emerges on the faces of those around you-Its fun,its pure joy.......Thank you spoons for being so simple.
I am now contemplating 101 uses of spoons in book form.......any ideas???

1 comment:

arumanda said...

hm...
eating tofu out of the plastic carton with them. bloody ace.

sticking them to your eyes with suction power - fabulous.

fishing out the clogged up hair in your sink hole without having to touch it. eek

hitting someone annoying on the head with them.

pretending they're a microphone and doing karaoke in your living room when you can't make it to a karaoke box...